A popular disaster preparedness quote says that there is no harm in hoping for the best as long as you’re prepared for the worst. One way to prepare for most emergencies is by packing a Go Bag today.
What is a Go Bag?
A Go Bag is a bag that contains things that you would need in case you’re in a situation that requires you to evacuate immediately. You can customize your Go Bag for your personal needs, but there are important items that you need to include.
Here are some tips on how to prepare a Go Bag for emergencies:
- Get a heavy-duty but light duffel bag or backpack. You can also use an old backpack. Ultimately, you’ll want to get a bag that is big enough to carry the items you need without bursting.
- Pack the heaviest items first. Bulky items should line the bottom of the bag so it’s easier to lift.
- Store clothes in resealable plastic bags to make sure they stay dry.
- Keep your Go Bag in a safe place you can access quickly in an emergency situation.
Here are the things you’ll need to pack in your Go Bag:
- Non-perishable food
- Flashlight and batteries
- First aid kit
- Swiss Army Knife
- Spare cellphone and charger
- Battery-operated AM/FM radio
- Copies of important documents in a waterproof container, including a list of special medications each member of your household takes
- Extra set of house and/or car keys
- Extra cash
- Lightweight rain gear and blanket
- Child care supplies, if you have children
You should also stock medicine in your Go Bag. This medicine kit should contain the following: