What is the medicine used for?
This medicine is used for the following conditions:
- Control and symptomatic relief of:
- acute nonspecific diarrhea
- chronic diarrhea associated with inflammatory bowel disease
- Reduction of number and volume of discharge in patients with ileostomies and colostomies
In addition to using Loperamide for diarrhea, it is not important that you replace the fluid and salt loss with the use of oral rehydration solution (ORS) and/or by drinking plenty of fluids.
What is in the medicine?
Each tablet contains:
|Loperamide Hydrochloride||2 mg|
How much and how often should you use this medicine?
- For Symptomatic Relief of Acute Diarrhea
Take 2 capsules initially followed by 1 capsule after each loose bowel movement.
Or, as directed by a doctor.
Maximum dose is 16 mg (8 capsules) per day.
Discontinue if there is no improvement after 2 days.
- For Symptomatic Relief of Chronic Diarrhea
Take 2 capsules initially followed by 1 capsule after each loose bowel movement. Then reduce Loperamide dose to meet individual requirements. When the optimal daily dosage has been established, administer this amount as a single dose or in divided doses. Or, as directed by a doctor.
Average Daily Maintenance Dose:
Take 2 to 4 capsules/day. A dosage of five capsules (10 mg) is rarely exceeded.
If no clinical improvement is observed after treatment with 8 capsules/day (16 mg/day) for at least 10 days, symptoms are unlikely to be controlled by further Loperamide administration.